Translate

Thursday, February 20, 2014

A Public Service Announcement

So, like I said there have been more than 30 kindle copies of "Moonlight & Stained Glass" have been sold by Amazon.com.

There have even been copies sold in the UK and Germany, 3 each.

Now, there have been a total of 2 copies returned. Perhaps they were accidental purchases. This is actually what I'm hoping is the case, because if these people bought the book and read it and then returned it that's kinda sad. Here's why:

When a book is published using KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) the person publishing the book - author or publisher - has two available selections for royalties, 30% or 70% royalties. If the book is published with a 70% royalty rate, the minimum price that KDP will allow you to set the book for is $2.99 (in US currency, not sure what that translates to for their other markets) and the kindle version can be bought via print-match (if you purchased a paperback through Amazon) at a reduced price of $1.99, $0.99, or FREE. If the book is published with the 30% royalty rate, the minimum price the book can be listed for is $0.99 and the only available print-match option is FREE.

Now here's the thing, I don't particularly care about the money. If I did, I would have picked the 70% royalty option. I don't care mostly because I know I'll never be able to make a living off of it. However, even with the 30+ copies that have been sold, that means the royalties I will receive are equal to approximately $10.00 (yep, ten whopping US dollars). Not much, and that's okay. I figure that whatever I make from these books I'll either donate to a charity or two that I really care strongly about, or it'll be rainy day money. I have a two and a half year old son, and I know soon he'll learn how to ask for things. I'm not talking about food or things around the house. I'm talking about things that cost money. He'll want to go places, buy souvenirs, and make memories. If I can save the money I make from my books, then someday that'll most likely be the money I use for things like fishing trips with him.

So, not just for my sake, I implore you to keep the kindle books you purchase on Amazon unless it was an honest mistaken/accidental purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment